Monday, February 24, 2014

Blurred Lines has Blurred Minds!

As a person who listens to the radio every time their in the car, I obviously play 96.5 and 95.7 quite a lot. Those are usually the stations that play the "hip and upcoming" music. As a teenager I look up to musicians. Let me rephrase that. I look up to good musicians. Before you go all Hulk on me, hear me out. I know that "good" is a rather generic word and it's categorized differently by every person according to their taste. For me a good musician has to have 3 things:
1) Good beats, music has to be ear-pleasing, and of course catchy
2) Have to have different sort of songs-ex: every song can't be about love and sadness
3) Lyrics can't be trashy

Which brings me to Blurred Lines sang by Robin Thicke. 

Check this out-http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/robinthicke/blurredlines.html and you also maybe don't want to check out the video for this song which got an age limit of 18 on YouTube because of well....I'll let you figure that out. 

If you know the lyrics then you should be well on your way. No I'm not here to ram Robin Thicke or any of the other writers. I am solely here to express my opinion. I will agree that this song was catchy. If it was playing on the radio I would probably start singing along. But the meaning of this song is completely vulgar. Robin Thicke co-wrote Blurred Lines with did T.I and Pharrell Williams-who side note gave his $200 Grammy hat for auction on Ebay. So it's up for grabs. May the odds be ever in your favor. 

Back to what I was saying. He wrote the song. And to me that just gives him an ick factor. Who writes that? If you haven't checked the lyrics yet, go check them because you're about to get some spoilers. This song is about prostitution. Domesticating women as they say.. To all those people who still think “Blurred Lines” is for the feminist movement, please comment your opinion below. I would love to hear why. Worst part is it's not even hidden. All the words out there plain in the open so no deciphering is required. "What rhymes with hug me?" Gee, I don’t know. There is no deeper meaning to it. If there was I would've thought there would be a video supporting women, yet the video does the exact opposite. 

One last thing: Good job Robin Thicke you and Miley Cyrus have made 2013 one of the most controversial years of the 21st century!

P.S. No that wasn't sarcasm. Controversy creates opinions. The world would be rather boring if everyone thought the same don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment